Former FIFA president, Sepp Blatter, has called on the global soccer body to suspend his successor, Gianni Infantino, after criminal proceedings were opened against the latter in Switzerland.
Swiss authorities on Thursday said that proceedings had been launched against Infantino by a special prosecutor looking into meetings he had with Swiss Attorney General, Michael Lauber.
“For me, the situation is clear, that the FIFA ethics committee has to open a case against Mr Infantino and so it has to suspend him,” the 84-years old Blatter, said in a statement.
Blatter, who was FIFA president for 17 years, was suspended and later banned by FIFA’s ethics committee after he became the subject of criminal proceedings in Switzerland in 2015, an investigation that is still ongoing, though Blatter, has denied any wrongdoing, he is yet to be charged.
Blatter’s accusation was centred on a payment of two million Swiss francs (1.6 million pounds) made in 2011 to former UEFA president, Michel Platini, with Blatter’s approval for work the Frenchman had done a decade earlier.
Blatter was banned for eight years, reduced to six on appeal, and Platini also for eight years, reduced to four. Platini also denied wrongdoing.